Tuesday 22 July 2014

New York City and the Rohdes and New York City again.

Yellow cabs in NYC

1st Avenue with the UN building in the background on my way to the German Consul-General for my visa interview

Rockefeller Plaze while waiting for Richard Boliter

Inside the LEGO store with the LEGO dragon emerging from the ceiling in a number of places

All the national flags in Rockefeelr Plaza

Flower sculpture above the Rockefeller Fountain

5th Avenue in a quiet moment. Two icons - Yellow Cab and Bicycle Messanger

St. Patricks Cathedral on 5th Avenue undergoing renovations

At last, Richard and I on 51st Street

Nic van Loggerenberg (Head Prefect 1992) and I in Starbucks on 55th and 7th near Carnegie Hall. So good to meet up in NYC as they were winding down their visit to the USA


Interesting fountain as I walked to Grand Central Station

It took me 20 minutes to get a shot with nobody clambering all ove this statue even though there is a sign 'No climbing on this structure' on both sides!

One of a number of bronze scultures at a French Bank, Credit Agricole, on 6th

Main entrance to Radio City the entertainment centre in NYC

Another side of Radio City

I wanted to go in , but with about 200+ people in line, I gave this a miss


Just missing the sign for Harlem-125th Street train station as we sped past

East River Manhattan. This is where the NYC Crew Rowing clubs train

Yes, they have their own train station

The mighty Hudson River steeped in the History of the founding of the USA

Oh boy and I thought I was in the USA! Miss the Cape Town one.

Nathanial and Sebastian Rohde piling into a very sweet and tasty Watermelon

Trying to make inraods into Doug Rohde's woodpile. We split 5 wagon loads for next Winter. Good upper-body workout!

Doug's new woodshed slowly filling up.

Back in NYC to collect my German visa and I met up with Richard Boliter and Doug Middelbrook at Starbucks on 47th and Broadway. So good to be with them both. Just collected my German/Schengen visa. Yay! Happy again

Broadway with some roadworks underway

The South Memorial at the WTC

Another view with some of the new buildings including WTC 1 and the Museum centre and right

Some of the names where I was standing lazer cut through the bronze. Sad that these were people going about there daily activities and died a horrible death

The memorial trees and ivy beds at the WTC Memorial

The other Memorial pool to the West

More names randomly chosen. It is very erie reading the names of people some of whom jumped rather than burn to death. Very tragic and so very sad

The new train station under construction at WTC 1 which will be bigger than Grand Central. They call it 'The Dinosaur'

Another view of the WTC building and park

Sideways on! How to I spin it upright? Not right click - that does not work. I guess I should try it before I post it!
The journey continues with one more blog from the USA next week, then home for 11 days then London.

1 comment: